Feeling lost with Taxes for Expats?
Let us help with your Expat Tax Return

Moving country is hard enough without trying to navigate a new tax system. We’ll hold your hand and walk you through your Expat Taxes step by step. If you’re ready to get started, click on the link below. To learn more, keep reading!

Taxes for Expats making you feel like a Hippo in headlights?
Let us guide you through

Sure, you can do your expat taxes yourself. Feel free to explore some of the wonderful information on our taxes for expats freebies page to help you. BUT there are many reasons why investing in our expat tax package and taking advantage of the expertise of our team of UK tax specialists, is a fantastic idea…


UK tax law can be complicated, ambiguous (with lots of grey areas) and leave you scratching your head or going round in circles.

Our accounting team have spent many years training so you don’t have to!



Double tax treaties are hundreds of pages long and full of complicated rules.

Unless you are a nerd who wants to read and digest it all, or an insomniac who needs some light bedtime reading, let us take the strain for you.



Tax rules change and evolve all the time. It’s a lot to keep on top of, is this something you really want to have to do?

Our online accountants spend many hours a year keeping up to date with all those changes, big and small so that we can help you.



Lastly, and most importantly, is peace of mind. Moving country is stressful enough, without having to negotiate new tax systems.

Sit back, grab a glass of wine, relax and let us take the stress out of your UK taxes.


How The Expat Tax Package Works


Sign up to our Expat Tax Package.
The fee is a fixed rate of £600* +VAT.

*Includes up to 50 lines of short term and long term capital gains / 1 rental property

Have questions before you sign up?
Just use the contact page to get in touch. 


Once you click on the link below and sign up for our Expat Tax Package, you will receive a link to make your payment, followed by:

  • a welcome email
  • contracts to sign electronically
  • access to a shared secure portal
  • a short questionnaire to help with the tax return preparation 


Once you have uploaded the completed questionnaire, along with all of your documents, just let us know you are ready to get started.

We will prepare a draft and upload it to your secure portal for you to review. You will get an email to let you know it is ready and everything you need to know about the way it has been prepared.


Once you have had a chance to review your return, ask any questions and make any amendments, it is time to finalise the return.

You will be sent a final version to sign electronically. This will then be filed online with HMRC and we will upload a copy of your final return along with the submission report, to your secure portal.


Why Choose Our Accounting Services?

Hi, I’m Wendy O’Dell Callaway

As an expert in taxes for expats I specialise in helping Expats navigate the tax system in the UK. As a previous Expat myself I understand just how stressful moving country can be and understand the frustrations you face.

Hippo is a little different from most firms – what you see is what you get!

It’s really important to me that we really get to know our clients and provide the personal service that most clients crave.


AND …When Hippo files your Expat Taxes for you,
we plant 5 trees in India.


Do you need to file in the UK?

If you have just moved to the UK, or have property in the UK that you rent out, then you may need to file a UK self assessment tax return. Don’t worry, we specialise in taxes for expats and have compiled a list of useful Expat Tax Information so you can make that decision.

Do I Need to File a UK Self Assessment Tax Return?

You will need to complete a tax return if you are living in the UK and meet any of the following criteria:

  • overseas income (this includes bank interest, dividends and capital gains from your investment portfolios), however small
  • you earn over £150,000 per annum (£100,000 for years up to 5 April 2023)
  • you are self employed, or working as a consultant for an overseas employer
  • you have pension or social security payments from overseas

You will also need to file a return if you live outside the UK but have a UK rental property, even if you make a loss.

UK Tax Return Deadlines

Tax year end – 5 April

Return filing deadline – 31 January the following year

Tax payments due – 31 January the following year

Payments on account – if you owe HMRC more than £1,000 when your tax liability is calculated, and more than 80% of the tax owed is not withheld via PAYE, then you may have to make payments on account towards your next years liability.  These payments are based on the prior year liability.  Here is an example.

– Tax year ended 5 April 2021 – tax liability £10,000

– Return filing deadline – 31 January 2022

– Tax payments due

  31 January 2022 – £10,000 liability for year ended 5 April 2021 PLUS £5,000 first payment on account     for the year ended 5 April 2022

  31 July 2022 – £5,000 second payment on account for the year ended 5 April 2022

You can learn more about payments on account on the UK Government website

How to Register

Unlike most countries you are not automatically registered for a UK tax return, it’s something YOU have to activate.

If you have a UK National Insurance Number (this is not the NHS number), then you can do this online

Register here if you are not self employed >

Register here if you are self employed >

If you do not have a UK National Insurance Number, then you will need to apply via the post.


What happens next?

Once you have registered, HMRC will write to you via snail mail with your Unique Tax Reference number (UTR). This is a 10 digit number that you will need to be able to file your UK self assessment tax return. This is a lengthy process and can take around 4 months.

Please note : There is no joint filing in the UK, so if both you and your spouse need to declare you will each need to apply.

Feeling confused?
We also offer consultations

We regularly get asked the following questions regarding expat tax UK, you can ask all of these and more in a consultation:

  • What information would be included on my UK tax return?
  • Should I include my overseas income on a 31 December or 5 April basis?
  • What basis will my return be prepared on – arising or remittance?
  • I’ve moved to the UK in the middle of a tax year, how does that work?
  • Can I claim overseas workday relief?
  • Am I eligible for detached duty relief?
  • How will my pension income by taxed in the UK?
  • How do I check the tax code on my payslip is correct?

Taxes for expats can be tricky!

So don’t take any chances. Book a consultation today or take advantage of our expat tax services and let us take the stress our of expat taxes for you.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This
Verified by MonsterInsights